Late winter, simply earlier than spring arrives, Myer lemons arrive in our shops. Myer lemons are a novel number of citrus which are considered a cross between lemons and mandarin oranges. Myer lemons are smoother than common lemons with a deep yellow pores and skin and pulp. Though Myer lemons are barely acidic, they don’t have the identical tartness of normal lemons. I’m a sucker for something lemon flavored, and after I noticed my first bag of Myer lemons within the retailer this 12 months, I had to purchase them.
Lemon loaf is one in every of my favourite sweets, so I made a decision to make use of my Myer lemons to bake a lemon poppy seed fast bread. Yogurt and oil are used on this recipe creating a really moist bread. Though I don’t usually glaze my desserts or loaves, I believed a shiny citrus flavored glaze would convey this dessert to a brand new stage. When baking something lemon flavored, I like to make use of Fiori di Sicilia from King Arthur Flour. This extract is a flowery mix of lemon and vanilla. If you don’t select to make use of Fiori di Sicilia you should utilize half a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and half of a teaspoon of lemon extract.
Deborah Mele Revised 2021
- 1 half of Cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- half of Teaspoon Salt
- 1 half of Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt
- half of Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia (See Notes Above)
- three Giant Eggs At Room Temperature
- 1 Giant Myer Lemon, Zested And Juiced
- 2 Tablespoons Poppy Seeds
- three/four Cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F.
- Spray an eight x four inch loaf pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir collectively the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a second bowl, use an electrical hand mixer to mix the sugar, yogurt, oil, extract, and eggs.
- Add half the lemon juice together with the zest and blend till blended.
- Pour the dry substances into the moist and stir along with a picket spoon till the flour combination has been integrated.
- Stir within the poppy seeds.
- Bake the loaf for 45 to 50 minutes, or till a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out cleanly.
- Cool for 10 minutes then take away from the pan and funky fully.
- To make the glaze, place the powdered sugar in a small bowl, and drizzle within the remaining lemon juice, whisking constantly till you attain your required thickness.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaf and let sit till set.