Hello Daring Bakers!
If there’s one cake recipe that can jumpstart you from winter blues to sunny spring days, it’s my lemon cake with lemon buttercream. I might make many arguments as to why lemon desserts are so good (any time of the 12 months, if we’re sincere), however for the sake of simplicity and saving you a while, I’ll simply say they’re so darn good!
I feel lots of people are a bit confused when they’re introduced with a cake that options lemon so prominently. Dessert? With one of many key elements being bitter? It isn’t till they’ve that chew of the zippy, lemony, moist, and candy cake that they’re transformed to lemon-dessert-believers. My beautiful lemon meringue cake has been a fan favourite for years!
The acid within the lemon juice doesn’t simply add a refreshing zip of taste both—it helps maintain the cake as moist as might be! There’s some severe science occurring inside your oven, however you don’t want a level in chemistry to know that the outcomes are magical.
I pair this home made yellow cake with home made lemon buttercream, which comes collectively tremendous shortly, and is the proper stability of candy and tart. Shake off the winter blues with this one!
What Is Lemon Cake?
This can be a home made yellow cake flavored with lemon juice after which frosted with lemon buttercream, made with lemon juice and zest, that creates a dessert that isn’t too candy and positively isn’t mouth-puckering bitter. It’s good for welcoming hotter climate when folks need a lighter, citrusy dessert!
Lemon goes so effectively with each candy and savory dishes. Lemons ought to all the time be a staple merchandise in your fridge! In an hermetic container, they need to keep contemporary for as much as an entire month!
What You Want To Make Lemon Cake With Lemon Buttercream
How To Make Lemon Cake
This three-tiered cake comes collectively very quickly, and the lemon buttercream is even simpler! Right here is the way you make the proper spring-time dessert (and don’t overlook to get the complete recipe with measurements, on the web page down beneath):
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter, flour, and line your Eight-inch (20cm) spherical cake pan with parchment paper and put aside.
- Utilizing an electrical mixer, cream the butter and sugar till they’re mild and fluffy. Then, separately, add within the eggs till they’re totally mixed.
- Mix the milk, lemon juice, oil, lemon extract, and lemon zest right into a measuring cup. Regularly add the liquid to the butter combination till it’s totally blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt collectively. Regularly beat this combination into the batter till it’s simply evenly mixed.
- Divide the batter between your prepped pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes if you’re utilizing two pans, and 20-25 minutes if utilizing three pans till a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clear.
- Let the muffins cool for 10 minutes within the pans, then invert them onto a cooling rack to chill fully.
- Because the muffins cool, put together the lemon buttercream. Utilizing an electrical mixer, beat the butter till it’s mild and fluffy. Then, step by step add the powder sugar. Beat till it’s totally mixed.
- Pour the lemon juice, cream or milk, and lemon zest into the butter combination and beat till mixed.
- As soon as the cake is totally cooled, stage your layers and frost.
Gemma’s Professional Chef Suggestions For Making This Cake
- All the time use room temperature elements when making muffins. It provides you with the very best rise and most even mixing.
- To accentuate the lemon taste within the cake, you can also make a lemon juice focus: place ½ cup (4floz/115ml) lemon juice in a small pan and let simmer away till it’s decreased by half. Let cool fully and use this rather than the lemon juice referred to as for within the cake.
- You may make a lemon-poppyseed cake by add three tablespoons of poppy seeds to the batter together with the dry elements.
- Use my home made lemon curd between the cake layers together with the buttercream for an additional lemony kick!
- For one thing a bit of particular and completely different, make a lavender-lemon buttercream by mixing 2 teaspoons of finely chopped contemporary or dried culinary lavender into your buttercream.
How To Retailer This Cake
You’ll be able to retailer this spring cake at room temperature in an hermetic container for as much as 2 days.
Make Extra Lemon Desserts!
And don’t overlook to purchase my Greater Bolder Baking Cookbook!
Full (and printable) recipe beneath!
My Lemon Cake recipe with lemon buttercream frosting is zippy, lemony, moist, and candy — every part you might need in a spring dessert!
Servings: 10 folks
For the Lemon Cake:
- ¾ cup (6oz/170g) butter (at room temperature)
- 1½ cups (12oz/340g) granulated sugar
- four giant eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 cup (8floz/225ml) milk
- ¼ cup (2floz/57ml) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (2floz/57ml) impartial flavored oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract (non-obligatory)
- Zest of two lemons
- 2 ⅔ cups (13⅓oz/378g) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup (1½oz/40g) cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Lemon Buttercream:
- 1½ cups (12oz/340g) butter (at room temperature)
- 6 cups (24oz/680g) powdered sugar
- ¼ cup contemporary lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
To Make the Lemon Cake:
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter, flour, and line with parchment three Eight-inch (20cm) spherical cake pans. Put aside.
With an electrical mixer, cream the butter and sugar till mild and fluffy, after which add the eggs separately till totally mixed.
In a measuring cup with a pour spout, mix the milk, lemon juice, oil, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Regularly add the liquid to the butter combination till totally blended.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Regularly beat into the batter simply till evenly mixed.
Divide the batter between your ready pans and bake for 30-35 minutes if utilizing two pans and 20-25 minutes if utilizing three pans, till a skewer inserted within the middle comes out clear.
Let cool for 10 minutes within the pans earlier than inverting onto a cooling rack to chill fully.
To Make the Buttercream Frosting:
Whereas the cake is cooling, put together the lemon buttercream: with an electrical mixer, beat the butter till mild and fluffy, then step by step add the powdered sugar. Beat till totally mixed.
Into the butter combination, pour within the lemon juice, cream or milk, and lemon zest and beat till mixed.
When the cake is totally cooled, stage your layers and frost.
Retailer this cake at room temperature in an hermetic container for as much as 2 days.
Submit your personal pictures of this recipe