Since I haven’t blogged something in roughly two centuries and am feeling notably beneficiant in the meanwhile, I’m going to allow you to all in on somewhat secret:
I don’t like maple syrup.
Actually, I despise it.
The runny texture, the cloying saccharine taste – BLEH. I can’t consider a worse strategy to fully wreak havoc on my Sunday morning breakfast desires.
However are you aware what pleases my coronary heart greater than phrases can categorical and to which I’ve been a loyal, passionate fan for practically three many years?
Log Cabin Breakfast Syrup.
I completely positively LOVE Log Cabin. Doubtlessly greater than my very own life.
I find it irresistible in a unclean, shameful, horrifying means – like the way in which I like consuming Arby’s Beef n’ Cheddars whereas watching Monday Evening RAW wrapped up in an outdated pilled blanket. It fills my soul with the supreme bliss and sense of serenity that may solely be achieved by means of synthetic maple taste and a great deal of excessive fructose corn syrup. It’s the style of my hopes and desires, a sensory reminiscence of the very best moments of my childhood.
As you all know, I like to create self-imposed drama for the sake of leisure, however in the case of the sense of guilt I really feel about my breakfast syrup preferences, I actually do expertise a real sense of disgrace and disgust that I can’t rally behind pure maple syrup. I can’t inform you how a lot it pains me that fairly than assist small household farms throughout America, I select to present my dollars to the Company Machine. That I knowingly pollute my physique with synthetic colours, flavors, and preservatives. That my palate isn’t delicate sufficient to acknowledge and admire the fragile taste of actual maple syrup. However you guys..I can’t cease.
Years in the past, I made a fairly large dedication to myself that in the case of meals, I’d attempt to make most issues from scratch, be as wholesome as potential (except for my ice cream behavior, in fact), and eat largely all-natural issues. And in most areas of my life, I’ve been profitable.
Aside from maple syrup.
I’ve tried to find it irresistible, I actually have. I’ve bought bottles upon bottles of Vermont and even Ohio syrup…however there’s a tiny a part of my soul that dies each time I abandon my beloved Log Cabin. Pure maple syrup simply doesn’t style maple-y sufficient (or no less than, the definition of “maple” that slowly developed in my mind and style buds after a childhood comprised solely of Log Cabin consumption).
I want that candy and savory synthetic maple taste, that suspiciously-thick pour, and above all, that iconic cabin-shaped bottle that tells me all my Sunday breakfast desires are about to return true.
Though I like Log Cabin on mainly the whole lot (Elf-style), my absolute favourite car is home made buttermilk waffles. Simply eager about how these little nooks on the waffles maintain onto the Log Cabin like puddles of syrupy goodness fills my coronary heart with the purest type of pleasure.
Though it’s technically “Spring” and the solar is partially out and the birds are chirping within the morning, the climate gods of Ohio have determined to grace us with yet one more large snowfall, and the prolonged chill has me craving huge, cake-based breakfasts, onerous. So I figured, why not resurrect the weblog from the useless and make an ice cream that has all my favourite breakfast elements in a single scoop?
And earlier than you ask – sure in fact I used Log Cabin (although for those who’re not a complete heathen like me, be at liberty to make use of precise maple syrup).
This ice cream is a savory, textural expertise: swirls of candy and bitter berry compote break by means of the creamy base with a touch of maple taste. To prime all of it off, REAL waffles which have been toasted and chopped up for a little bit of crunch and that cake-like texture. I do know this looks as if a ton of effort, however you may simply use frozen waffles, and even leftover waffles from breakfast the day prior. (As the children say, you do you).
Since my aim for this ice cream was a clear maple taste, I used an alternate approach that makes use of cream cheese fairly than egg yolks. The flavour was precisely what I had hoped for, however be warned that this ice cream freezes more durable than typical egg-based ice lotions so that you’ll want to present it time to melt outdoors of the freezer. Set this out when you’re consuming dinner, and by the point you get to dessert try to be golden!
This ice cream is just not for the faint of coronary heart – it’s for die-hard breakfast followers. I hope you find it irresistible as a lot as I do!
Completely happy scooping little weblog fam! It’s good to be again 🙂
Belgian Buttermilk Waffle Ice Cream
three tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1.5 cups entire milk
1.5 cups heavy cream
1/three cup sugar
2 tablespoons mild corn syrup
¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to style
1 waffle, toasted cooled and chopped into small items
2 cups blueberries (I used contemporary however frozen works simply positive too)
2 tablespoons sugar
Make the Ice Cream Base:
- Whisk the cream cheese in a medium bowl till clean or nearly clean (some lumps and bumps are simply positive). Put aside for later.
- In a small bowl, combine two tablespoons of milk with the cornstarch till clean. Put aside.
- In a four quart saucepan, mix milk, cream, sugar, and corn syrup, then deliver to a rolling boil. Boil for four minutes. (Facet observe: it’s completely obligatory that you simply use a four quart saucepan. This combination foams a TON as soon as it begins to boil, and for those who’re lazy like me and attempt to use a smaller pan within the hopes of limiting clean-up, you could simply find yourself with an excellent larger mess in your fingers!).
- This subsequent half begins to seem like the “regular” ice cream course of, besides you utilize your cornstarch combination as a substitute of eggs: After four minutes, take away the milk combination from warmth and regularly combine into your cornstarch slurry combination that you simply made in Step 2. Add again to the saucepan, and cook dinner over medium excessive warmth for about three minutes, or till thickened and it coats the again of a picket spoon. Take away from warmth.
- Steadily whisk the nice and cozy milk combination into the cream cheese. Add the maple syrup and buttermilk, then stir till easily. Lastly, add within the kosher salt, to style. I wished this ice cream to be extra savory, so I feel in the long run I added a heaping 1/2 teaspoon or so. I like my pancakes with a lot of salted butter, and by including additional salt to the ice cream, I used to be capable of replicate this taste. However, for those who’re not a complacent saltaholic like me, you would possibly need to begin out with much less and construct your means up. Salt tends to develop into extra intense after the ice cream is frozen, so preserve that in thoughts as effectively.
- As soon as all components are integrated, transfer ice cream base to an air tight container and retailer in fridge for no less than 6 hours however ideally in a single day.
Make the Blueberry Compote:
- Preheat oven to 375 levels.
- In a small baking pan or pie dish, add two cups of blueberries and sprinkle sugar on prime. Roast within the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, till fruit is gentle and squishy and appears able to burst. Put aside to chill to room temperature.
- Place roasted berries and sugar in a blender and pulse till the feel of salsa (for those who choose a smoother puree, course of till clean). Retailer within the fridge till able to compile your ice cream.
Put all of it collectively:
- Take away your ice cream base combination from the fridge and churn in your ice cream maker in keeping with producer’s directions.
- As soon as the ice cream is completed churning, compile your completed product by alternating layers of waffle ice cream, blueberry compote, and chopped waffle in your storage container. Retailer in a single day, or till texture is hardened (about 6 to eight hours). When able to serve, enable to sit down at room temperature for 20 minutes till gentle and scoop-able.
- Take pleasure in!!!!